Sunday, November 04, 2007

Beautiful to See

Back in THE day I would go out and see bands, maybe flash a couple of digipix and report back to you my findings. I actually sort of miss that but I just can no longer bring myself to be the resident asshole that tells you which bands suck. I have been splattering my "opinion" all over the place as a public service. I created "Modern World" out of nothing. I was recruited to provide a column for the now defunct "faze3" magazine and several articles for "The Village Idiot", by a guy who would have been better served playing his guitar. I have written for free and I have been paid a little to gush and whine on such random subjects as Dexter Romweber and rasslin’. Now I find myself painted in the corner of my own making and am left to wonder if anyone is listening, reading or even gives a damn anymore. Maybe time has passed me by. Maybe I don’t even "know" what I know. Maybe a time has come where the things I value no longer exist and I am just a fool to keep looking for them.
Over the years I have used the pet phrase "I don’t know what rock and roll is but I know it when I hear it." I am just not hearing it much anymore. The rules have changed, and I am not happy with the new rules.
With that in mind I am going to try to tell you what I have seen lately.
I have been reading a lot of buzz about a "punk" band from the local "scene" called Double Negative. That is one very insightful name. A recent show at Tir Na Nog was all the proof I needed. They were loud and their fans were obnoxious. The drummer, however, was quite the fashion plate and the closest thing to a musician in the band.
That’s all I have to say. After their thankfully brief set the Loners took these boys to school. It was beautiful to see.
As Wolf might say, we have become "regulars" at Sadlack’s on Friday night. On a recent visit Ike Frazier was playing. I found them to be very refreshing, especially their wide range of understanding of what it is to rock. These guys cover Jerry Lee, Captain Beefheart, Ike Turner and Sam the Sham. They GET it. They didn’t learn what it takes to rock watching TeeVee. Again it was beautiful to see.
Reason for hope is all I expect but sadly that is becoming rare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home