Sunday, August 12, 2007

Roger Roger: the back to school session


the time was quickly approaching for Roger Aaron to go off to college and while I knew it was time for him to go, the band had come to appreciate and rely on his many contributions. he was an asset in so many ways be it trumpet, flugelhorn, guitar, keyboards and percussion, as well as chief engineer and just a great guy to have around so cut to the long story short chase, we got together for a day this past Friday. I had really wanted to record with him before he left so I planned to record a copy tune for the MySpace site, which I had already promised in the Roger Roger blog. I decided on Pink Floyd's first US single and a favorite of mine; "Flaming". We recorded a version with me on his gut string acoustic and got one complete take. then we moved on to electric and got what we thought was an acceptable run through with vocals, guitar an fluglehorn then we overdubbed acoustic guitar, horn case percussion and enhanced short wave radio noise. Les Paul P90 guitar, Silvertone 1430 amp, a Getzen fluge and the computer handled the digitized radio noise to line-in on the mixer. mics were AKG and Shure. I wish we could've had a couple more takes with the acoustic guitar but time was short.

we also recorded "1 x 1" a couple of times. I really like the sound of the horn on those and wish for more time to polish where that sound was going. In all this, we still found time to have pizza and gelato from Conti's and scour vintage music shop and a junk store. we saw an interesting item that we might one day go back for. It's a smile for me to remember. thanks Aaron.


go here to listen to the tunes: Roger Roger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home