Saturday, February 10, 2007

Roger Roger and the Co-Pathetics or
My Holiday by Roger Ron


I seldom go freeform on these posts. In fact, lately, I haven’t had any form at all. I’ve been largely missing in action. Here it is February 10th and I still have not "rung in the new" So, with tongue in cheek, gun in holster, bags packed and traveler’s checks in hand; off we go.
My Christmas holiday by R Taylor.
The truth is Ms Modern and I tried very hard to dodge the sanctified holiday that has evolved from celebrating the birth of Christ. What we celebrate here in America is greed and gluttony. I’m not even Christian and I am still offended. The businessmen of America depend on our super comsumptive nature to resolve their bottom line problems with one big, ridiculous, violence laden shopping frenzy at the end of every year.

We probably pissed off several family members but it was worth it and, just maybe, they will get over it.

My small concession to the "Christmas Spirit" was that I got grandson Lukin his first Tonka and my son and I found this JVC cassette deck at a local thrift store marked $24. This lady came over and said "half price sale today, but I’ll let you have it for $8". Sold.
A week or so later my son found a pair of Calrad DM20 microphones that we picked up for $50.

I thought getting him involved in taping/sound engineering would be a good thing for us to do together since I am a songwiter/musician. Actually he is becoming a musician himself and has written a few songs. He has been in band throughout his schooling, on trumpet and fluglehorn. Since he was a young boy I have always encouraged him to the guitar, which is my instrument. I first got the little Yamaha that is like ukulele size, then up to the ¾.

On Christmas Eve my daughter and Lukin’s dad Gil came over and Aaron, Gil and I did some "test" recordings with the new equipment. I have a Shure mic myself. We recorded the three songs I have most recently been working on; "Circle Around", "Wait for Me" & "Days" and an unreleased Neutral Milk Hotel song Gil and I like to sing together called "Sinking Ship". You can find the "best" of our holiday hootnanney at:

My new year’s eve was uneventful. My "bubbly" was several PBR’s and that’s alright with me. As we moved into 2007 it was pretty much more of the same but I have been feeling a bit better, I guess light is a good way to put it, or even energetic, excited, creative. The opportunity to record my music and have my old friend Michael from before and with Butchwax involved AND my son and Gilbert who is an excellent singer…I haven’t felt this good about the music in a long time. I also have something working with a guy from back in the days of Butchwax but I shouldn’t say too much; don’t want to jinx anything.
I feel like my writing is more complex and more colored than ever but retaining a solid foundation in the roots, the music of the folk.

Aaron and I got together with Michael on February 3rd. Michael brought his Behringer UB802 and his Shure mic. We set up the Yamaha PSS480 to play "bass" and I was shocked at how quickly Aaron took command of that. Sure, he had flubs but it was amazing how natural it seemed to be for him. The main thing we recorded were the same basic three that I have been trying to polish but the coup of the session was our first overdub. I played guitar and sang, Michael sang harmony and Aaron played "bass" then overdubed trumpet on "Circle Around" and Aaron and I did a trumpet/guitar/vocals "demo" of a new song I am still working on called "Open"

At some point during the "joyous holiday season" I finally got my lyricist/composer card from ASCAP so if anyone wants to record some of my songs let me know. My anniversary of abdication to State emposed slavery was January 21st, 32 years. That pretty much brings us up to date.

By the way, my new year’s resolution was to work on the blog more. You see how that turned out, don't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home